Mini-Mystery #1

Hi guys, it's Keisha!!!

Jenny wasn't feeling her best today, but because she's so devoted, she told me I had to step in so that her readers wouldn't be disappointed. Talk about committed. 
She told me to tell you the answer to last week's riddle was... *cue drumroll*.... a BOTTLE!!! So congratulations to whoever guessed "bottle". 
There's nothing new or wacky with me personally today, no news. 

BUT. 

Jenny gave me a mini-mystery for you guys to work on while she gets better. Ready for it??? Well, here it is, and I warn you it's a hard one. It took me a loooong minute to figure this one out. Or maybe I'm just slow. I guess we'll find out. Here it is:

The Silver Peak Chalet sat high in the Swiss Alps, a sprawling, multi-million-dollar fortress of cedar and glass. Outside, a roaring blizzard had completely blocked the only mountain pass. Inside, the air was warm, smelling of pine and expensive woodsmoke.

Arthur Sterling, a reclusive hedge-fund manager, was hosting an exclusive winter weekend for seven guests. The centerpiece of the chalet’s great room was the Vanderbilt Ledger—a historical, leather-bound book containing the handwritten, unencrypted access codes to an early Bitcoin fortune worth over $30 million. It was kept inside a specialized, reinforced glass display cabinet that required a physical combination lock to open. Only Arthur knew the five-digit code.
At 9:00 PM, right as dinner ended, the chalet's primary fuse box suffered a catastrophic failure due to the freezing storm. The entire estate went into a blackout.
The security grid died completely. The electronic deadbolts on the exterior doors reverted to a locked safety state, trapping everyone inside, while the interior security cameras stopped recording. It took the automated thermal systems exactly five minutes to activate the backup generator and restore the lights.
When the power returned at 9:05 PM, the glass display cabinet was sitting wide open. The Vanderbilt Ledger was gone. The physical combination lock wasn't smashed or forced; it had been spun precisely to the correct five-digit code. However, the thief had been in a rush: the glass front of the cabinet was covered in heavy, smudged oil marks, as if someone with incredibly greasy hands had pried it open.
The thief had to be one of the seven people locked in the main lodge.

The Suspect Statements
1. Arthur Sterling (The Host)
"I was standing right by the grand fireplace in the great room when the lights died," Arthur said, rubbing his temple. "The darkness was absolute. I didn't want to take a single step because the floor was cluttered with expensive, low-profile marble sculptures. I just stood perfectly still, facing the warmth of the fire, and waited for the backup power to kick in. I didn't hear a thing over the sound of the wind."

2. Diana Prince (The Champion Biathlete)
Diana, a world-class winter athlete who spent her days training in sub-zero temperatures, was calmly waxing her skis by the wall. "I was in the mudroom at the back of the house, getting my gear ready for an early morning cross-country run. When the blackout hit, I just leaned against the bench and stayed put. It was freezing in that back room without the main heat, so I just zipped up my insulated thermal jacket and waited."

3. Dr. Julian Vance (The Disgraced Accountant)
Julian, whose firm had gone bankrupt the previous month, looked incredibly nervous. "I was in the kitchen pouring myself a mug of hot cider from the stove. When the room went pitch black, I panicked. I set the mug down on the counter, but in the dark, I accidentally knocked over a massive bottle of artisanal truffle oil. It shattered everywhere. I spent the entire five minutes frozen in place, terrified of stepping on broken glass or slipping in the oil, until the lights came back on."

4. Elena Rostova (The Art Appraiser)
Elena sat curled up under a thick wool blanket. "I was in the second-floor library reading a biography of the Vanderbilt family. When the blackout hit, I couldn't see a thing. I didn't want to move and risk tripping down the spiral staircase, so I just closed the book, sat quietly in my armchair, and listened to the storm until the power grid rebooted."

5. Chief Thomas Hunt (The Retired Detective)
The burly, retired investigator was smoking a pipe by the window. "I was down in the basement wine cellar selecting a vintage bottle for the host. When the power cut out, the electronic basement door clicked locked behind me. I was completely trapped down there in the dark. There's no cell reception in the cellar, so I just sat on a crate and waited it out. You can check the door—it's a heavy steel security boundary."

6. Philip Sterling (The Extravagant Nephew)
Philip, who had recently been cut out of Arthur’s will due to his massive debts, shrugged carelessly. "I was in the game room playing billiards by myself. I had just taken a shot when the room went dark. I didn't want to wander around and trip over the pool cues, so I just leaned against the edge of the billiards table, pulled out my water bottle, took a few drinks, and waited for the lights."

7. Chloe Mercier (The Tech Journalist)

Chloe, a tech writer covering Arthur's immense wealth, clutched her tablet. "I was in the main hallway walking back from the powder room. When everything went black, I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I didn't want to stumble into the walls, so I reached into my pocket, pulled out my smartphone, turned on its bright LED flashlight, and slowly walked back to the great room to see if everyone was okay."

Investigator's Notes
The investigator carefully surveyed the chalet, noting a few undeniable physical realities of the environment and the crime scene:

  • The glass display cabinet was covered in heavy, greasy smears of truffle oil, confirming the thief had handled the oil immediately before spinning the combination lock.
  • The combination lock on the cabinet was a traditional, purely mechanical dial lock. To open it, a person must precisely spin the wheel right and left to five exact numbers. Because the dial has small, engraved numbers and no physical clicks or notches to count, it is physically impossible to input the combination by touch alone; a person must be able to clearly see the dial to align the numbers.
  • The chalet’s main hallway and great room are wide, open spaces. However, the mudroom is an isolated airlock chamber at the very back of the house with a heavy, uninsulated exterior door. Because of the raging blizzard outside, the temperature in the mudroom dropped to a freezing 15 degrees Fahrenheit (-9°C) within a single minute of the main heating system shutting down.

  • The kitchen counter was indeed a mess. A large glass bottle of truffle oil had shattered on the slate tile floor, pooling a thick, fragrant layer of grease across the room.


So... who's the culprit??? Let us know in the comments!!!
Keisha out.

Comments

  1. Rats. My name is still tester. But I think that it was just Aurthor.. after all, he was the one that knew the code. Also, the truffle oil dude never actually touched the oil with his hands.But where could the oil come from? Maybe Dr. Julian helped him or something. Can't wait for the answer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wait! the retired detective could've did it since detectives are sneaky

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts